Samsung had a number of enhanced GALAXY products (see them in the “Details for Samsung” section below). The really strong message from innovation point of view from them has, however, been (considered by them as “hidden gems”):
Samsung Mobile – Beyond Product [SAMSUNGmobile YouTube Channel]
Tour the Samsung Mobile booth at Mobile World Congress 2012 in Barcelona. Find out more about our new innovations, from AllShare Play and Control through Smart Driving and Smart School to NFC mobile payments.
UPDATE: for Nokia the major competition is the overall Android ecosystem, and not only in the proper smartphone market as:
– repeatedly stressed by Stephen Elop, the CEO of Nokia:
The principal competition is Android, and then Apple. [see here]
– indicated in relevant excerpts from the Nokia 2011 fiscal year report [March 8, 2012] as:
… Today, however, the distinction between these two classes of products is blurring. Increasingly, basic feature phone models, supported by innovations in both hardware and software, are also providing people with the opportunity to access the Internet and applications and, on the whole, offering them a more smartphone-like experience.
Whether smartphones or feature phones, mobile devices geared for Internet access and their accompanying Internet data plans are also becoming increasingly affordable and, consequently, they are becoming attractive to a broader range of consumer groups and geographic markets. A notable recent development has been the increased affordability of devices based on the Android platform, which has enabled some vendors to offer smartphones for below EUR 100, excluding taxes and subsidies, and thus address a portion of the market which has been dominated by more basic feature phone offerings.
… some competitors’ offerings based on Android are available for purchase by consumers for below EUR 100, excluding taxes and subsidies, and thus address a portion of the market which has been traditionally dominated by feature phone offerings, including those offered by Nokia. Accordingly, lower-priced smartphones are increasingly reducing the addressable market and lowering the price points for feature phone. …
Principal Factors & Trends Affecting our Results of Operations
Devices & Service
Increased Pervasiveness of Smartphones and Smartphone-like Experiences Across the Price Spectrum
During the past year, we saw the increasing availability of more affordable smartphones, particularly Android-based smartphones, connected devices and related services which were able to reach lower price points contributing to a decline in the average selling prices of smartphones in our industry.
This trend affects us in two ways. First, it puts pressure on the price of our smartphones and potentially our profitability, as we need to price our smartphones competitively. We currently partially address this with our Symbian device offering in specific regions and distribution channels, and we plan to introduce and bring to markets new and more affordable Nokia products with Windows Phone in 2012, such as the Nokia Lumia 610 announced in February 2012. Second, lower-priced smartphones put pressure on our higher-end feature phone offering from our Mobile Phones unit. We are addressing this with our planned introductions in 2012 ofsmarter, competitively priced feature phones with more modern user experiences, including software, services and application experiences. In support of our Mobile Phones business, we also plan to drive third party innovation through working with our partners to engage in building strong, local ecosystems.
Full information is in the Nokia’s strategy for “the next billion” based on software and web optimization with super low-cost 2.5/2.75G SoCs [Feb 14 – March 8, 2012] post on this blog.
END OF UPDATE
For Nokia, accordingly, a number of innovations have already been introduced on the MWC 2012, from the hardware level up to the services which surround all that. So for Nokia I will provide a video-based overview here well before going into the “Details for Nokia” section in the very end:
Key points: Nokia Lumia 610 is announced. Award-winning Nokia Lumia 900 will become available in various markets outside the US. Nokia PureView elevates industry standard in smartphone imaging. New Asha feature phones and services grow increasingly ‘smarter’.
The funky Nokia Lumia 610 http://nokia.ly/AztJvZ is the most affordable Lumia phone yet, but it delivers everything you need in a smartphone. The People Hub pulls family and friends’ contact details in one place, along with Facebook and Twitter feeds. A choice of colours, with metallic trim, makes the phone an individual style statement. [$254 (€189). Has a 3.7” 800 x 480 WVGA LCD display.]
The Windows Phone Xbox tie-in and 5-megapixel camera add to the funky package. And Nokia Music, with Mix Radio (availability may vary by market), Nokia Maps, Nokia Drive, Nokia Transport and Nokia Reading – make this phone unbeatable value.
Introducing the White Nokia Lumia 900 – Live Large [nokia YouTube channel]
Meet the new Nokia Lumia 900 with Windows Phone http://nokia.ly/zoyq6L Find out how fast amazing can be. And social. And beautiful. With its award winning design including front facing camera and Live Tiles, keeping in touch with friends, and the entire Internet, has never been so easy. [$645 (€480). Has a 4.3” 800 x 480 WVGA AMOLED ClearBlack display with Gorilla Glass.]
Experience The Amazing Everyday.
In this hands on video, Rhidian from Nokia talks about Nokia Reading, a premium e-book and audio experience service announced at Mobile World Congress 2012, and shows how it works on Nokia Lumia.
Nokia Reading will be available for Nokia Lumia handsets from April and will first launch in six markets (UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and Russia) with more to follow.
UPDATE: Nokia Reading: Get gripped by a great book [Nokia Coversations blog, Feb 28, 2012]
Nokia Reading follows the same simple and elegant panorama design we’ve become used to with other services, delivering the whole experience through a beautifully designed “reading hub.”
Nokia is working with some of the world’s biggest publishers, including Penguin and Hachette, and Pearson to launch a world class e-book and audiobook experience that’s been designed specifically for the Nokia Lumia.
Using a single, simple app you can choose your own favourite authors, or select bestselling novels and the top local books in your own language. If you’re not sure that you’ll like a book, Nokia Reading lets you browse some sample pages before you buy. Or you can download and read one of the thousands of classic works of literature that will be available for free.
Once you have chosen a book, large, clear, smartphone screens like those on the Nokia Lumia make reading an enjoyable experience – and you can switch to ‘night mode,’ change the font or adjust brightness, if your eyes get tired in the evening. It’s also great on an underground train or plane, because you can read everything offline after downloading beforehand over WiFi or mobile network
In coming months you’ll also be able to create a personalized magazine page (called “news stream”) that updates content across the most popular categories, and adds web content from your chosen sites.
Nokia 808 PureView – The next breakthrough in photography [nokia YouTube channel]
The game changer! Nokia 808 PureView http://nokia.ly/xz6mhS takes every bit of image goodness captured by a 41MP sensor and Carl Zeiss lens and turns it into beautifully detailed images and Full HD videos. Be ready to shoot and share with friends in an instant. [$605 (€450). Has a 4” 640 x 360 16:9 nHD AMOLED display.]
The Nokia 808 PureView also features exclusive Dolby Headphone technology, transforming stereo content into a personal surround sound experience over any headphones and Dolby Digital Plus for 5.1 channel surround sound playback.
UPDATE: Zooming in on Nokia PureView [article on the Nokia Conversations blog, Feb 29, 2012]: meet the brains behind Nokia PureView Eero Salmelin and Juha Alakarhu, and also learn the history of this 5 years long journey that lead to the delivery on MWC 2012
UPDATE: Nokia 808 PureView partner makes it unbeatable [Nokia Conversations blog, March 1, 2012]
Dolby reveals audio secret of new phone’s success
Taking pride of place at their stand, the world’s best camera phone owes much to Dolby technologies for helping to make it an HD mobile entertainment device.
For the PureView is also about pure audio thanks to its high-definition Dolby Digital Plus 5.1-channel surround sound which plays on HD TVs, and home theatre systems, and when combined with Dolby Headphone technology – also built into the PureView – provides a personal 5.1 surround experience over any headphones.
Mobile Sales Director Shawn Richards talked us through the tech on a Nokia 700 with a demo from Batman movie The Dark Knight.
He explained that the Dolby Headphone upgrade transforms stereo content into a personal surround sound.
“You get a more natural, engaging, and authentic sound,” he said. “Good audio is even more important when you are watching a movie on a small screen. And Dolby Headphone creates a totally immersive feel.”
UPDATE: Nokia 808 Pureview – Best New Mobile Handset, Device or Tablet at Mobile World Congress 2012 [nokia YouTube channel, March 1, 2012]
Nokia 808 PureView wins top MWC award!
Our awesome camera phone scoops the top award from Mobile World Congress 2012 judges.
Nokia’s imaging expert Damian Dinning explains the breakthrough camera technology behind Nokia 808 PureView.
You could also check out the gorgeous photos taken with Nokia 808 PureView from the flickr.
UPDATE: Nokia PureView Q&A with Damian Dinning [interview on the Nokia Conversations blog, March 1, 2012]
Nokia Stereo Bluetooth Headset BH-221 – See what you hear [nokia YouTube channel]
The new Nokia Stereo Bluetooth Headset BH-221 comes with an integrated FM radio and OLED display. It as excellent audio quality and NFC for easy pairing with your phone. Learn more at: www.accessories.nokia.com
Nokia Asha 302 http://nokia.ly/xXK4kV was designed with one simple goal in mind – to design the best looking QWERTY phone for today’s urban professionals. The metallic touch points, bold and sophisticated colors and smooth edges help users stand out and project success giving the phone a great premium feel. [$128 (€95). Has a 2.4” 320 x 240 QVGA TFT display.]
UPDATE: The Nokia C3-00 won Best Feature Phone or Entry Level Phone at the GSMA Awards 2012 in Barcelona. Blanca Juti, VP for Mobile Phones Product Marketing said to Nokia Conversations after collecting the prize: “It’s great for our products going forward, because the Nokia Asha 302 we launched yesterday is pretty much the successor to C3 which has had an amazing run in the market.” See here.
Nokia Asha 302 http://nokia.ly/x5m2zm is a QWERTY phone with great value for money. It is packed with a 1 Ghz processor and is great for social networking, Email, Instant messaging, supports Mail for Exchange and has a premium design with stunning looks.
The Nokia Asha 203 http://nokia.ly/x78ZBe is a touch phone with a traditional keypad, offering fast and affordable access to the internet, easy access to email and social networks as well as a 40 EA games gift offering. [$81 (€60). Has a 2.4” QVGA display.]
Nokia Asha 202 Dual SIM: Simply touch, connect and play [nokia YouTube channel]
The Nokia Asha 202 http://nokia.ly/yOGbDA is a touch phone with a traditional keypad, offering fast and affordable access to the internet, easy access to email and social networks as well as a 40 EA games gift offering. Plus it comes with Easy Swap Dual SIM. [$81 (€60). Has a 2.4” QVGA display.]
After exactly a year from the announcement of their new strategic set-up and direction it is quite obvious from all that above that Nokia is well on to realizing the corresponding transition. In fact they are redefining themselves which is well described by this video just published 2 days before the start of MWC 2012:
We believe that everybody can have a richer, fuller life every day, everywhere. That means upgrading an ordinary moment to an exciting one or finding an unexpected experience to share with others. Intuitively, fast and easy. This is Nokia’s new mantra, this is the new essence of Nokia.
I see this overall brand message fitting rather well with their new and enhanced portfolio as you could judge for yourself from the above video presentations. In this way they have proceeded quite well from the disastrous situation they were a year ago, and which had been described quite extensively in the following post on this blog: Be aware of ZTE et al. and white-box (Shanzhai) vendors: Wake up call now for Nokia, soon for Microsoft, Intel, RIM and even Apple! [Feb 21 – March 25, 2011].
Details for Samsung
- Samsung’s new GALAXY Tab 2 (7.0) offers optimal multimedia experiences in life[Samsung global news, !! on Samsung Forum 2012 in Europe, Feb 13, 2012 !!]
- Samsung’s new GALAXY Tab 2 series offers optimal multimedia experiences in life[Samsung Mobile Press release on MWC 2012]: the content is different, with detailed product specifications
- Samsung GALAXY Beam [global Samsung microsite]: “Beam Projector Smartphone”
- Share the Fun with Samsung GALAXY Beam[Samsung Mobile Press release on MWC 2012 with product specification included]
- Game On With Samsung GALAXY S WiFi 4.2 [Samsung Mobile Press release on MWC 2012]: “Samsung introduces GALAXY S WiFi 4.2, the best of Android experiences with powerful gaming on the go. This experience is further enhanced with the device’s superior SoundAlive audio system, offering great sound either through a front stereo speaker or headphones. A gyroscope sensor enables the user to control the device by moving it, providing truly engaging and intuitive gaming.”
- Boost your Creativity and Productivity with GALAXY Note 10.1 [Samsung global news, on MWC 2012], also as a Samsung Mobile press release
- Samsung Enriches SAP’s Mobile Offerings with Android Devices [Samsung Mobile Press release on MWC 2012]: “Samsung today announced that SAP AG has selected Samsung’s GALAXY S II and Galaxy Tab 10.1 for internal use. Today’s announcement marks the first time that Android-based smartphones and tablets have been deployed by SAP to help enhance employee productivity.”
- Related new product pages on Samsung Mobile Press:
– GALAXY Tab 2 (7.0)
– GALAXY Tab 2 (10.1)
– GALAXY Beam
– GALAXY S WiFi 4.2
– GALAXY Note 10.1
- MWC 2012: The Android arms race is heating up: Case in point, Samsung
- Samsung Galaxy S III full specs [leaked]: 1.5GHz quad-core, 1080p display, ceramic case
- UPDATE: Chinese closing gap in hardware [Korea JoongAng Daily, Feb 29, 2012]: “Samsung decided not to reveal its third-generation Galaxy S smartphone at this year’s MWC due to fears it could give Chinese handset makers an advantage, insiders say. Samsung showcased its Galaxy S II smartphone at last year’s event, and launched it commercially three months later. Chinese companies are believed to have taken cues from the device, and they subsequently made strides in developing their own gadgets. To avoid a repeat this time round, Samsung plans on revealing the latest Galaxy S smartphone at the same time that it drops it on the market.”
- MWC 2012: Samsung’s Galaxy Tab 2, Galaxy Beam, Galaxy Note 10.1
- MWC 2012: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 unveiled
- Video: [GALAXY Beam] First Hands-on Video [SAMSUNGmobile YouTube Channel]
- all 1080+ news items for Feb 27-28 on: Samsung “Galaxy S III”»
- all 879+ news items for Feb 27-28 on: Samsung “Galaxy Tab 2″»
- all 720+ news items for Feb 27-28 on: Samsung “Galaxy Beam”»
- all 651+ news items for Feb 27-28 on: Samsung “Galaxy Note 10.1″»
Details for Nokia
All the launches: Nokia at Mobile World Congress [Nokia Conversations blog]
BARCELONA, Spain – Nokia announces six new phones and an array of new and updated services, advancing its new strategy and setting the pace for 2012.
Here’s our star-studded line-up for Barcelona 2012.
Nokia Lumia 610
The Nokia Lumia 610 is our most affordable Windows Phone to date – and the fourth we’ve brought to market. It’s aimed at young people who want access to a smartphone experience at the right price. Offering access to social networking, games, Nokia Maps and navigation, web-browsing and Nokia Music, the Lumia 610 comes in four bright colours. It will cost just €189 [$254] before taxes and subsidies, and starts shipping in April.
Nokia Lumia 900
First announced in January for AT&T’s LTE network in the US, the Nokia Lumia 900 will now be available worldwide in an HSPA+ edition. The Dual Carrier HSPA phone will allow for downloads up 42.2 Mbps. With a 4.3-inch ClearBlack AMOLED display, mobile media never looked so good, while an upgraded battery means there’s no compromise on longevity.
[Lumia 900 [DC-HSPA variant] $645 (€480) according to the press release]
Nokia 808 PureView
The Nokia 808 PureView extends our leadership in camera phones, with an amazing 41-megapixel sensor, Carl Zeiss optics and brand new pixel over-sampling technology. This means pin-sharp pictures, great low-light performance, yet with the ability to save your images in a suitable file size for social media, MMS and email. Also watch out for full 1080p video recording and exclusive Dolby Headphone technology to enrich the sound of any stereo content.
[The Nokia 808 PureView has a current price of €450 [$605]. It will be hitting stores in Q2 2012. – according to a press report]
Nokia Asha 302, 202 and 203
We’re also introducing three new Nokia Asha mobile phones with new capabilities to bring them to smarter heights than ever. Aimed at urban consumers across the world, the Nokia Asha 302, 202 and 203 offer more than ever in terms of work and play. The Asha 302 is a QWERTY phone with support for Microsoft Exchange synchronisation, a first for Series 40 phones. The Asha 202 and 203 bring touch screens to a lower price point than ever and come with a massive entertainment bundle.
[Asha 202/203 $81 (€60), Asha 302 $128 (€95) according to the press release]
Not satisfied with six new phones, there’s a whole raft of new and improved services. Nokia Drive for Windows Phone will now offer full, offline maps and turn-by-turn navigation. In addition, there’s Nokia Reading, the best e-book experience for Nokia Lumia. And Nokia Life bringing life skills, parenting, education, agriculture and entertainment services to Series 30 and 50 phones in India, China, Indonesia and Nigeria.
Click through for all the in-depth stories from today’s press conference. We’ll be bringing you even more detail, hands-on experiences and interviews with the brains behind these beauties over the course of the week.
Nokia 808 PureView
- Nokia 808 PureView – revolutionary camera technology; great smartphone[Nokia Conversations blog]
- Nokia 808 PureView ushers in a revolution in smartphone imaging[Nokia press release]
- Nokia PureView imaging technology [Nokia whitepaper, 10 pp.]
- Nokia 808 PureView creates a stir at MWC[Nokia Conversations blog]
- Nokia 808 PureView is star of the booth[Nokia Conversations blog]
- Nokia 808 PureView – The next breakthrough in photography [Nokia Europe microsite]: How it works – It’s a smart smartphone – link to the Product page
- MWC 2012: Nokia’s surprising 41MP Symbian phone
- MWC 2012: Nokia unveils “PureView”, stunning 41-megapixel smartphone
- Nokia 808 PureView tech specs and official photos: “The Nokia 808 PureView has a current price of €450 [$605]. It will be hitting stores in Q2 2012.”
- Video: Nokia 808 PureView [Hands-on][41-Megapixel Camera][MWC 2012][HD]
- MWC 2012: Nokia 808 PureView Ushers in a Revolution in Smartphone Imaging with 41MP Camera (VIDEO)
- all 128+ news items for Feb 27-28 on: Nokia Symbian “41 Megapixel” Camera »
Nokia Lumia 610 and 900 [DC-HSPA variant]
- New Nokia Lumia 610 and Nokia Lumia 900 [DC-HSPA variant] for all[Nokia Conversations blog]
- Nokia expands Lumia experience to new price points and geographies [Nokia press release] Lumia 610 $254 (€189), Lumia 900 [DC-HSPA variant] $645(€480)
- Nokia and Microsoft: 12 months on[Nokia Conversations blog]
- Product pages [Nokia Europe]:
– Lumia 900
– Lumia 610
- Data sheet: Lumia 900
- MWC 2012: Nokia Shows Low-Cost Lumia 610 Smartphone
- MWC 2012: Nokia Lumia 610, Skype Beta for Windows Phone, Tango
- Video: Nokia Lumia 610 demo
- all 1640+ news items for Feb 27-28 on: Nokia “Lumia 610” »
- all 2250+ news items for Feb 27-28 on: Nokia “Lumia 900” »
Nokia Asha 302, 202 and 203
- Asha Monday at Mobile World Congress[Nokia Conversations blog]
- Nokia expands its Asha range with smarter feature phones that improve ways to work, learn and play [Nokia press release]: Asha 202/203 $81 (€60), Asha 302 $128(€95)
- Product pages [Nokia Europe]:
– Asha 202 with dual SIM and touch screen [2.75G connectivity]
– Asha 203 with easy web browsing on an intuitive touchscreen [2.75G connectivity]
– Asha 302with fast 3.5G connectivity in an elegant design
- Nokia Browser for Series 40 [Nokia data sheet]: “Even faster and better for more affordable access to the internet. Now available on Nokia Asha 202, Nokia Asha 203 and Nokia Asha 303”
- Nokia Asha for business [Nokia UK page]: “Mail for Exchange … compatible phones include the Nokia Asha 302 and Nokia Asha 303”
- Nokia launches three new Asha phones
- MWC 2012: Nokia Focuses on Developing World
- Hands-on: Nokia Asha 202, 203 and 302 at MWC 2012
- Video: Nokia Asha 302 Hands-on Review
- New Nokia Services at Mobile World Congress [Nokia Conversations blog]:
– [Nokia Maps updated for Windows Phone: make the experience simpler, with fewer intrusive objects and signs to get in the way of where you want to go – and a reduced colour palette to allow the brain to process information more easily]
– Nokia Drive for Windows Phone: full, offline maps and turn-by-turn navigation
– [Nokia Public Transport now available as an app on the Nokia Lumia: to plan fast inner-city routes from point to point, and work out your time of arrival]
– Nokia Reading: the best e-book experience for Nokia Lumia
– Nokia Life: life skills, parenting, education, agriculture and entertainment services to Series 30 and 50 phones in India, China, Indonesia and Nigeria
- UPDATE: New Maps, Drive and Transport in depth [Nokia Conversations blog, March 1, 2012]
- UPDATE: Mapping the new digital world [Nokia Conversations blog, Feb 28, 2012]
UPDATE: Bing Maps and Nokia Release Unified Map Design [Bing Maps Blog, Feb 28, 2012]
- UPDATE: Nokia Transport Beta [NokiaBetaLabs, Feb 29, 2012]
- Nokia Services debut at MWC 2012
- MWC 2012: Nokia Reading, Nokia Transport, Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive 2.0/3.0 demoed
- Nokia updates Drive app, intros Nokia Reading and Nokia Transport
- Nokia Drive upgrade, new Nokia Reading and Groupon deal announced
- Nokia announces Reading, Transport and Life services
- Nokia Reading: Get gripped by a great book[Nokia Conversations blog]:
- Nokia announces Reading app for Lumia phones
- Nokia Drive 2.0, Reading, and Transport apps coming to Lumia range
- Nokia Drive 3.0: first look at future features
- all 518+ news items for Feb 27-28 on: Nokia Drive »
- all 315+ news items for Feb 27-28 on: Nokia Reading »
- all 812+ news items for Feb 27-28 on: Nokia Life »
- all 323+ news items for Feb 27-28 on: Nokia Maps »
- all 258+ news items for Feb 27-28 on: Nokia Transport »