The penetration rate of IPS (in-plane switching) and FFS (fringe-field switching) panels in the mobile PC (including notebook, netbooks and tablet PCs) segment is expected to climb from 11% in 2011 to 20% in 2014-2015, Display Search has indicated in a Chinese-language press release.
While IPS/FFS LCD panels held a 31% penetration rate in the LCD TV segment in 2011, DisplaySearch estimated that the penetration rate of IPS/FFS panels in the desktop monitor sector, in which IPS/FFS is being used for specific applications such as medical equipment, will soar to 25% in 2015 from 7% in 2011 as LG Display aims to make IPS panels a standard for desktop monitors.
LG Display (LGD) has been the top supplier for IPS/FFS panels, accounting for 80% share of IPS/FFS panels in 9.1-inch sizes and above. Panasonic LCD serves as a major supplier of IPS/FFS panels for TV applications. LGD plans to venture into the development of AH-IPS technology for display devices in the next few years, DisplaySearch noted.
While Samsung Electronics and some Taiwan-based flat panel makers will also roll out IPS panels, China-based BOE Technology has begun shipping 32-inch TV panels using FFS technology, DisplaySearch noted.
LGD is also a major vendor for small- to medium-size IPS panels, taking up a 25% share in the below 9-inch size segment, and other vendors including Hitachi, Sony and Toshiba each also hold a certain market share in the sector. However, when Japan Display will officially be set up in 2012, the company will become the largest supplier for small- to medium-size IPS/FFS panels, said DisplaySearch.
LG Display’s3.5-inch smartphone panel supports 960×640 pixel resolution at 326 PPI, delivering the most detailed images among smartphones available on the market.
What is AH-IPS?
AH-IPS technology, an advanced form of IPS, has realizes 1.5 to 2 times the resolution of typical LCD panels. This ultra high resolution becomes particularly valuable when the emphasis is on displaying highly detailed images. The technology also improves display’s color accuracy, which in turn leads to reproduce the original color precisely without color distortion. In addition, it provides greater lighttransmission which translates into lower power consumption while delivering exceptional picture quality, making it ideal for use in outdoor settings.
The AH-IPS panels deliver ultra high resolution, notable for their superiority in use for smartbooks, tablet pcs and smartphones. LGDisplay shows off a full line-up of products which deliver ultra high resolution, including 3.5- and 4.5-inch panels for smartphones, 7- and 9.7-inch panels for smartbooks, and 55- and 84- inch panels for TVs at the exhibition. In particular, by highlighting the strengths of AH-IPS, the company plans to solidify its competitive edge in the smart mobile market. The Company is already enjoying dominance in technology, supply capability, and cost competiveness based on its extended experience in mass production.
“Consumers can enjoy crisp and clean pictures in any device like smartphones and smartbooks with LG Display’s proprietary AH-IPS technology,” said President and CEO of LG Display Mr. Young Soo Kwon. “Our goal is to be the world’s No. 1 display maker that consistently delivers groundbreaking technologies like IPS to innovate the display industry.”
Resolution is generally defined by the total number of pixels whereas image crispness is measured by pixels–per-inch (PPI) which refers to pixel density per unit area. The ultra high resolution technology employed by AH-IPS adds a greater number of pixels than the PPI that can be recognized by the human eye at a typical distance. This makes it more difficult for the naked eye to distinguish each individual pixel, thus making the image sharper.
LG Display’s AH-IPS Panel Receives the World’s First Quality & Performance Mark from Intertek for Color Accuracy [LG Display press release, Aug 24, 2011]
LG Display [NYSE: LPL, KRX: 034220], a leading innovator of thin-film transistor liquid crystal display (TFT-LCD) technology, announced today that its Advanced High Performance In-Plane Switching (AH-IPS) technology received the Quality & Performance Mark from Intertek, a global product testing and certification company, for color accuracy. The 4.5-inch AH-IPS panel designed for mobile devices is the first LCD module in the world to receive the certification given to products that outperform others in the same category after rigorous independent testing.
AH-IPS was also recognized as superior to a comparable AMOLED display in terms of power consumptionin the same tests.
The two products Intertek tested, a 4.5-inch (HD, 720 x 1280, 329ppi) AH-IPS display scheduled for release in the second half of 2011 and a 4.3-inch (WVGA, 480 x 800, 217ppi) AMOLED display adopted in the Samsung Galaxy S2 handset, are regarded in the industry as the leading smartphone displays.
In tests of color accuracy, the color reproduction of LG Display’s 4.5-inch AH-IPS display was shown to be three times more accurate, receiving a color accuracy*rating of 0.012 compared with 0.037 for the 4.3-inch AMOLED display. The less accurate color gamut that AMOLED recorded can be proven to result in color distortion, based on a 2008 report by the Advanced PDP Development Center Corporation which showed that when color accuracy exceeds 0.015, colors are perceived differently by the human eye.
In terms of power consumption, the 4.5-inch AH-IPS with a brightness of 600 nits was found by Intertek to consume a constant level of power at 624mW on all color expressions compared to as much as 1,130mW for the 4.3-inch AMOLEDwhen displaying full-white colors. The result demonstrates that, despite its larger and brighter display, AH-IPS can be regarded as a more energy-efficient and environment-friendly display than AMOLED.
Considering current smartphone trends where users are increasingly browsing the Internet and accessing social networking services which heavily utilize white backgrounds, power consumption is expected to grow in importance for consumers, particularly as next-generation 4G smartphones are said to consume 1.5~2 times more power than current smartphones.
“The certification from Intertek proves that AH-IPS is more suitable for mobile displays than AMOLED,” said Sang Yeoup Rhee, Vice President of AH-IPS Marketing in LG Display. “With credible global testing demonstrating the superiority AH-IPS, LG Display plans aggressively to promote and to highlight the superior performance of AH-IPS to consumers.”
Intertek tested color accuracy through a spectrophotometer that measured color temperature against standardized display color, and power consumption under 14 different color patterns using a standardized international test for power consumption under the same conditions.
*Color accuracy is measured numerically by △u’v’. A lower value indicates a smaller gap between the original color and reproduced color
About LG Display
LG Display Co., Ltd. [NYSE: LPL, KRX: 034220] is a leading manufacturer and supplier of thin-film transistor liquid crystal display (TFT-LCD) panels, OLEDs and flexible displays. The company provides TFT-LCD panels in a wide range of sizes and specifications for use in TVs, monitors, notebook PCs, mobile products and other various applications. LG Display currently operates eight fabrication facilities and six back-end assembly facilities in Korea, China and Poland. The company has a total of 50,000 employees operating worldwide. Please visit http://www.lgdisplay.com for more information.
LG Nitro HD Launch Event In True HD [Dec 5, 2011]
LG NITRO HD DELIVERS FIRST TRUE HIGH-DEFINITION EXPERIENCE FOR AT&T CUSTOMERS [LG press release, Nov 28, 2011]
Exclusive to AT&T Customers, Android-Powered LG Nitro™ HDProvides High-Definition Display, Lightning-Fast Processing Speeds and AT&T 4G LTE Capabilities
• LG Nitro™ HD, the first smartphone in the AT&T* portfolio with a true high definition screen becomes the third 4G LTE smartphone for AT&T customers.
• Available in AT&T stores and online Dec. 4 for $249.99 with a two-year commitment.
[No Commitment Pricing $550]
• Dual-core 1.5 GHz processor and access to AT&T’s 4G LTE makes Nitro HD the ultimate high-performance superphone.
• AT&T 4G LTE recently expanded to 15 markets. AT&T plans to reach 70 million Americans with 4G LTE by year-end 2011.
LG Nitro HD
The LG Nitro™ HD, featuring a 4.5-inch True HD AH-IPS display, will be available exclusively to AT&T customers beginning Dec. 4 in company owned stores and online. Setting a new standard for a mobile device, LG Nitro HD comes equipped with a stunning true high-definition touchscreen display, a dual-core 1.5 GHz processor and access to AT&T’s 4G LTE where available, making it the ultimate high-performance superphone. Not only is LG Nitro HD powerful and incredibly fast, it also features multitasking abilities and offers the latest evolution in mobile device display technology for higher image resolutions and text readability.
Taking advantage of LG’s new proprietary True HD technology, LG Nitro HD’s 4.5-inch AH-IPS (Advanced High-Performance In-Plane Switching) display supports resolutions up to 1280 X 720 pixels and offers unrivaled color accuracy, brightness, battery efficiency and performance. LG Nitro HD’s 500 nit display luminance allows for clear viewing in direct sunlight and RGB stripe pixels deliver incredibly accurate true-to-life color rendering.
LG Nitro HD offers incredibly quick speed, power and efficiency in a slim design (5.27” X 2.67” X 0.41”) making it easy to view, create and share in HD. LG Nitro HD multitasks seamlessly and with AT&T 4G LTE and HSPA+ where available, it easily browses even the most content-heavy websites and runs HD games with ease, including HD gaming from the Gameloft HD game store and Zynga Poker HD.
An 8-megapixel HD camera and 20 GB of total memory (4 GB on-board plus 16 GB via In-box microSD) allows users to capture and view crystal-clear True HD images and video. Wi-Fi Direct™ technology and DLNA® features offer wireless HD content streaming options, making it easier and faster than ever to share HD content with the people and networks that matter the most.
AT&T is the only U.S. carrier providing 4G using both HSPA+ and LTE technologies. HSPA+, when combined with enhanced backhaul, provides customers with compatible devices 4G speeds, meaning customers get a faster and more consistent 4G experience, even when outside of an AT&T 4G LTE area.
Pricing and Availability
Be one of the first to experience the phenomenon of LG Nitro HD on Dec. 4, available exclusively in AT&T company owned stores and online for just $249.99 after a two-year contract.
“With the LG Nitro HD as one of our last smartphones to arrive in 2011, we’re closing out the year with a bang,” said Jeff Bradley, senior vice president, Devices, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. “We’ve seen others get close to a true HD experience on Android superphones this year, but Nitro HD is the one that does it right.”
“LG continues to push the boundaries of what is possible on mobile devices today,” said Tim O’Brien, vice president of marketing for LG Mobile. “LG Nitro HD will be the first smartphone available for AT&T to feature True HD AH-IPS capabilities, and the advantages of a crystal clear display are immediately evident after seeing the device first hand. In addition to sporting the clearest and crispest display on the market, LG Nitro HD will be one of the fastest and most powerful smartphones available.”
*AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.
Limited 4G LTE availability in select markets. 4G speeds delivered by LTE or HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul, where available. Deployment ongoing. Compatible device and data plan required. LTE is a trademark of ETSI. Learn more at att.com/network.
Limited-time offer]. LG Nitro HD with new 2-yr wireless agrmt of $39.99 or higher and min $15/mo data plan is $249.99. Wireless Service: Subject to Wireless Customer Agrmt. Coverage and svcs not avail everywhere. Credit approval req’d. Activ. Fee up to $36/line. Geographic, usage, and other terms, conditions and restrictions apply, and may result in svc termination. See store or visit att.com for complete details and coverage maps. Data: Min $15/mo, 200MB, data plan required. If you exceed your initial 200MB allowance, you will automatically be charged an average of $15 for each additional 200MB provided. All data allowances and overages must be used in the billing period provided or they will be forfeited – details att.com/dataplans. Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge up to $1.25/mo. is chrg’d to help comply with gov’t obligations and chrgs; it is not a tax or gov’t req’d chrg. Early Termination Fee (ETF): After 30 days, ETF up to $325 based on device (details att.com/equipmentETF). Restocking fee up to $35. Taxes and other charges apply.
VERIZON WIRELESS AND LG MOBILE CONTINUE LEGACY OF INNOVATION BY OFFERING A TRUE HD MOBILE EXPERIENCE WITH SPECTRUM™ BY LG [LG press release, Jan 9, 2012]
Latest LG Smartphone Boasts True HD IPS Display, Verizon Wireless 4G LTE, Dual-Core Processor and ESPN ScoreCenter App with Exclusive HD Feed
LAS VEGAS – From the 2012 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES), Verizon Wireless and LG Mobile today announced Spectrum™ by LG smartphone, exclusively for Verizon Wireless. Spectrum is the first smartphone for Verizon Wireless to feature a 4.5-inch True HD In-Plane Switching (IPS) display, the same display technology used in premium LG HD televisions. Intensifying its HD capabilities, Spectrum by LG will give customers exclusive HD access to the ESPN™ ScoreCenter application. Spectrum will be in the Verizon booth (Las Vegas Convention Center, South Hall, Booth #30259) and LG booth (Las Vegas Convention Center, Central Hall, Booth #8204).
ESPN’s ScoreCenter app is supported by an exclusive HD video feed, giving customers the exclusive access to ScoreCenter stats, images and videos in 720p HD. Scoreboards and live game details include in-game stats, news and video. Personalization features allow fans to customize their ScoreCenter experience by highlighting their favorite teams and leagues from around the world, all in crystal clear high-definition.
Showcasing LG’s True HD technology, Spectrum by LG supports 1280 x 720 resolution and offers one of the brightest and sharpest displays available on a mobile device. Spectrum’s 500-nit display luminance and Real-Stripe RGB pixels offer users clear viewing in direct sunlight and accurate true-to-life color rendering.
Spectrum also features a Qualcomm® 1.5 GHz dual-core processor combined with 4G LTE connectivity for robust power, multitasking and download speeds. Verizon Wireless leads the way in 4G with the fastest and most reliable 4G network in the United States, covering more than 200 million people in 190 markets.
• 4.5-inch True HD IPS display provides natural colors and brilliant, undistorted HD images in 16:9 aspect ratio. Pictures and texts are incredibly sharp with 329 pixels per inch (PPI) screen density.
• Protected by Corning® Gorilla® Glass, the True HD IPS display uses Real Stripe subpixel arrangement so images never get blurred.
• Android™ 2.3 Gingerbread (Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade available the first half of 2012); support for Google™ Mobile Services including Gmail™, YouTube™, Google Talk™, Google Search™, Google Maps™ and access to more than 300,000 apps available to download from Android Market™.
• Preloaded Netflix app allows Netflix subscribers to stream the latest movies in high-definition quality.
• Qualcomm 1.5 GHz dual-core processor makes multitasking seamless. Customers can surf the Web, check email and update social networks effortlessly.
• ESPN’s ScoreCenter app offers the most comprehensive sports coverage available on an Android device whether you follow the NFL or Premier League, ICC Champions League or MLB™, NASCAR or Formula One™. Customers can follow teams from more than 500 leagues around the world with an exclusive 720p high-definition feed for Spectrum by LG while connected to the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network or Wi-Fi.
• Spectrum supports Dolby® Digital Plus, which allows users to maximize their HD multimedia experience. Dolby Digital Plus can stream up to 7.1 channels of surround sound through home entertainment systems.
• 8-megapixel rear-facing autofocus camera with LED flash to snap beautiful pictures and 1080p video capture
• Front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera for video chat
• SmartMovie HD app—create and edit HD videos right on the Spectrum by LG
• Mobile Hotspot capability—share 4G LTE connection with up to 10 Wi-Fi-enabled devices
• Bluetooth® Version 3.0
• 16 GB microSD™ card pre-installed with support for up to 32 GB microSD card
• SmartShare—share media wirelessly to DLNA®-enabled devices
• HDMI mirroring capable via MHL
Pricing and availability:
• Spectrum by LG will be available on Jan. 19 in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at http://www.verizonwireless.com for $199.99with a new two-year customer agreement.
• Customers who purchase a Spectrum by LG will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan beginning at $39.99 monthly access and a smartphone data package starting at $30 monthly access for 2 GB of data.
Customers Can Score the Game Winner
LG and ESPN are teaming up to give fans the chance to score an unbelievable sports weekend, including two tickets to ESPN The Magazine’s NEXT Event and a trip to the big game in Indianapolis on Sunday, Feb. 5. Customers can visit http://www.SpectrumbyLg.com or http://www.verizonwireless.com/spectrum for official rules, details and a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be a part of sports history.
For more information and product images, please visit LG’s online press kit at http://www.LGnewsroom.com/ces2012.
True HD is now mobile [LG data sheet, Jan 9, 2012]
Spectrum by LG sharpens the vision of what’s truly superior in mobile technology. Beneath its exceptionally large 4.5″ True HD IPS display is a mighty combination of power and speed.
A Qualcomm® 1.5 GHz dual-core processor compliments Verizon 4G LTE connectivity, generating an astoundingly fast overall experience. You’ve never seen this before—expect to be blown away.
Perfecting the Pixel - The True HD IPS display utilizes Real Stripe subpixel arrangement, which is denser and 1.4 times sharper than PenTile™ subpixel arrangement on typical Super AMOLED display
Take It All In
The 1280 x 720 pixel resolution provides additional screen space for more visible page content when compared to a typical smartphone screen.
Down to the Details
The 4.5″ True HD IPS display provides brilliant, undistorted HD images at a 16:9 aspect ratio. With 329 pixels per inch screen density, pictures and texts are sharp even at the smallest details.
Record videos at 1080p and snap beautiful pictures with the 8 MP camera/camcorder.
Super Powered Multitasking - By utilizing the dual-core processor plus the 4G LTE connectivity, multitasking is seamless on Spectrum. It zooms its way through web surfing, emails, and social networks effortlessly
• Android™ 2.3 Platform (Gingerbread)
• Android Market
• Google Maps™ Navigation
• Preloaded Apps: Alarm/Clock, Browser, Calculator, Camera, Contacts, Email, Gallery, Gmail,™ Google Search, Latitude,™ Maps, Market, Messaging, Music, Phone, Places,™ Polaris Office, Richnote, Smart Movie HD, Video Player, Voice Dialer, Voice Recorder, Voice Search, Voicemail, YouTube™
• Verizon 4G LTE Network1
• 4G Mobile Hotspot – share a data connection with up to 10 other devices (or 5 devices on a 3G network2)†
• Bluetooth® Version: 3.0
• Save Up to 100 Bluetooth Pairings3
• Supported Bluetooth Profiles: headset, hands-free, serial port, advanced audio distribution (stereo), messaging access profile, audio/video remote control, object push, file transfer, phone book access, audio/visual distribution, audio/visual control transport protocol
• Wi-Fi® Connectivity: 802.11b/g/n
• Wi-Fi Direct™ – connect directly to another Wi-Fi Direct device without having to join a wireless network
• S-GPS Support for Location Accuracy
1Verizon’s 4G LTE Network not available everywhere.
2Depends on device memory and network availability.
3Depends on available memory
†Verizon Wireless service required. Features based on carrier program availability.
• True HD IPS Solution – 16:9 aspect ratio, 1280 x 720 pixel resolution at 329 ppi provides more visible page content and sharper details
• 1080p HD recording1
• Smart Movie HD – make and edit HD videos
• SmartShare – share media wirelessly to DLNA®-enabled devices
• HDMI® mirroring via MHL2
• Video Player with Touch Lock, Dolby® Sound Effect, Next/Previous Button, More Menu Options and Resume Play Function; supports DivX,® WMV, MP4, 3GP, and 3G2 Formats
• Music Player for MP3, AAC, AAC+, M4A, WMA, AMR, MIDI, Ogg Vorbis, and WAV Formats
• Convenient Music Controls – access music playing controls from the Notifications panel
• Preloaded Verizon Apps: Backup Assistant, Guided Tours, My Verizon Mobile, V CASTSM Media Manager, V CAST Tones, Verizon Video, VZ Navigator®
• TuneWiki – discover new music via recommendations from friends and fellow users; play music, radio, and video with synchronized lyrics
• Accelerometer – switch portrait/landscape view; control games by turning/tilting phone3
• USB Mass Storage4
1Content must be shared on larger HD display for 1080p playback.
2MHL Adapter required (sold separately).
3Only available on certain interactions with the touch screen.
4USB cable and microSD™ card required (both included).
• 8 Megapixel Rear-Facing Autofocus Camera and Camcorder with LED Flash
• 1.3 Megapixel Front-Facing Camera for Self-Portraits and Video Chat
• Rear-Facing Camera Resolutions: 3264 x 2448 (default), 3264 x 1836, 2560 x 1920, 2048 x 1536, 2304 x 1296, 1280 x 960, 1536 x 864 pixels
• Front-Facing Camera Resolutions: 1280 x 960 (default), 1280 x 720, 640 x 480 pixels
• Image Editor – zoom, crop, and rotate
• Face Tracking – automatically finds and focuses on faces
• Tag Location – add geographic data to images
• Customizable Brightness,1 Scene Mode, ISO, White Balance,1 Color Effect,1Timer, and Shot Mode
• Camera and Video Zoom: up to 4x
• Full HD Video Recording – record video in 1080p HD for sharing or playing on a larger display2
• Video Resolutions: 1920 x 1088 (default),31280 x 720, 720 x 480, 640 x 480, 320 x 240, 176 x 144 pixels
• Audio Recording – record video with or without sound (mute)
1Available in both camera and video modes.
2Content must be shared on larger HD display for 1080p playback.
3Depends on available memory.
• Simultaneous Voice and 4G Data – browse the web or send email while on a voice call
• Connect to Social Networks
• Enhanced HTML Web Browser
• Text, Picture, Video, Group (send a message to a group of contacts who can see and reply to the group), and Location Messaging†
• Mobile Instant Messaging
• Email – mobile personal & corporate email
• One-Touch Speakerphone1
• Speaker-Independent Voice Commands
• MP3 Music Ringer Support (song clips)†
• 31 Unique Ringtones + Vibrate & Silent Modes
• TTY/TDD Support
• Contacts – unlimited fields2 for numbers, email addresses, a group, physical addresses, organization names, IM screen names, web addresses, events, notes, nickname, and picture ID3
• Speed Dial – 98 entries + 1 voicemail default
• Proximity Sensor – locks touch screen and buttons while talking on phone
• Touch Vibration for Tactile Feedback4
• Languages: English, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, French, German, or Italian
• FOTA – upgrade firmware over the air†
1Only available during a call.
2Depends on available memory.
3Depends on photos stored in your gallery.
4Only available on certain interactions with the touch screen
• Technology: CDMA 1x, EVDO Rev. A, LTE
• Frequencies: 1.9 GHz CDMA PCS, 800 MHz CDMA DCN, 700 MHz LTE
• Data Transmission: LTE, EVDO Rev. A, 1xRTT
• Processor: 1.5 GHz Dual-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon™ S3
• Weight: 4.99 oz.
• Display: 4.5″ True HD AH-IPS, 16:9 display ratio, 1280 x 720 pixel resolution at 329 ppi, 16.7M Color, LCD Capacitive Touch Screen
• USB: 2.0 High Speed
• Standard Battery: 1830 mAh
• Usage Time: up to 498 minutes1
• Standby Time: up to 348 hours1
• Micro USB Charging Port2
• Memory: 4 GB onboard + 16 GB pre-installed microSD card (slot is expandable up to 32 GB)3; 1 GB RAM
1Certain features may use more power and cause actual time to vary.
2USB Cable included.
31.81 GB for apps; 16 GB microSD card included. Additional memory cards sold separately
• Standard Battery*
• Travel Adapter and USB Cable*
• 16 GB microSD Memory Card*
• Extended Battery (3,040 mAh)
• Wireless Charging Pad (WCP-700)
• Wireless Charging Battery Door
• Media Charging Dock
• Vehicle Mount
• Vehicle Power Charger
• Bluetooth Headsets (HBM-235, HBM-570, HBM-905)
• Bluetooth Headset with Charging Cradle (HBM-585)
• Bluetooth Headset with Speakerphone and Solar Charging Cradle (HBM-810)
• LG TONE™ (Bluetooth Stereo Headset HBS-700)
*Included with phone